If you can’t feed a hundred people than just feed one.
DATES: AUGUST 2-19, 2018
COST: $950 + AIRFARE/VISA
AGE: 18 +
Working alongside Registered Dietitians (RD), you will have the experience of a lifetime providing services to combat woman and child malnutrition through nutrition and health education, supplementary nutrition, oral rehydration therapy, and much more! This trip involves 18 days of volunteering with excursions mixed in.
Our time volunteering will begin by traveling to the village of Dharamshala, located on the edge of the Himilayas, to serve the people of Northern India for two weeks. In this village there is a need for many different services, but we will mainly be serving at local child care centers called “Anganwadi” in Indian and with women empowerment. These centers are a part of the Indian public health-care system.
- Assist Registered Dietitians in accessing for malnutrition and deficiencies using Nutrition Focused Physical Exams, measurements, growth charts and more
- Provide nutrition education:
- basics of nutrition(macro & micronutrients, MyPlate, etc) focused on culturally appropriate & locally grown foods
- mindfulness and moderation
- safe and hygienic food practices
- maternal nutrition & breastfeeding education
- child nutrition
- Create and run local woman support groups
- Make and serve culturally- and health-appropriate foods
- Provide supplementary nutrition and oral rehydration therapy
- Teach local mothers how to create meals for their families using local ingredients that follow MyPlate guidelines
Other non-nutritional village service projects that you may have:
- Work in a team alongside local craftsmen to complete time-limited challenges to improve rundown community building, renovate schools, and paint walls
- Teach English to local children whose parents can’t afford to provide good education for their children
- Organize activities for the children to increase sharpness of their talents and have fun
- Visit one of the 7 Wonders of the World, Taj Mahal
- Explore intercity New Delhi by an air-conditioned van
- Visit Gurudwara Bangla Sahib, “free kitchen”, that cooks meals approx. 10,000 people in a day for free to help fight hunger
- Experience the culture of India through one of the largest and busiest street markets
- See local artisan markets with Indian weavings, spices, and other handicrafts
- Experience the wonders of Dharmshala such as gyuto monastery, Bhagsunath Waterfall & Temple, Norbulingka, etc.
During, before, and after volunteer hours you will be able to participate in different cultural activities to enjoy such as:
- Yoga classes-Yoga is a commonly known generic term for the physical, mental, and spiritual practices or disciplines which originated in ancient India with a view to attain a state of permanent peace. Various traditions of yoga are found in Buddhism, Hinduism, Jainism, and Sikhism. Here you will get an opportunity to learn about ashtanga yoga and its postures and benefits. You will also be introduced to Pranayam (restorative breathing) and dhyana (deep meditation) by a yoga guru.
- Henna classes – The Henna tradition is as old as 9000 years. Ancient cultures like the ones in Middle East, India, and Africa made a ritual out of Mehndi and have contributed to making it one of the most traditional forms of body art. The aroma of mehndi oil and henna itself is very calming; the mud smells very rich and earthy. In India there is a belief that mehndi is very auspicious and young girls or married women ornate their hands and feet for good luck, purity, and joy. Volunteers will have the opportunity to learn this skill and/or get henna done on their hands or feet from a local “mehndi” (henna) artist.
Also, super cool—each volunteer will be provided with traditional Indian clothes that they will be able to take home.
I am truly excited about this experience and know that it is going to change not only their lives, but all who participate. I can’t wait for the lifelong friends that will be made, the beauty that will be captured, and, mostly, the service that will be given.
The ones who are crazy enough to think they can change the world are the ones that do.
**Hotel and guesthouse accommodations, ground transportation, guided tours and group excursions, and 3 meals per day included. Airfare, Visa, Passport, souvenirs not included.
Start your application here