Rediscover a delightful morning breakfast in these Gluten-Free Almond, Poppy Seed Scones drizzled with a sweet almond glaze.
This easy, gluten-free scone recipe has a special place in my heart, and in my recipe box. Out of all my gluten-free baking recipes this one is my #1 favorite of all time!! They’re soft, tender, and packed full flavor!
Scones just have a way about them. They make you feel all gourmet and fancy, and are a great way to impress your guests(or yourself)! The great news is that scones are one of the easiest recipes you’ll ever make & these gluten-free scones are no exception! The only thing to be aware of is that scones, like biscuits, are most tender when handled minimally. So have your ingredients ready, and use a soft touch when mixing and rolling the dough. The dough will still be sticky after mixing, but refrain from adding more flour, as any extra could dry them out.
Traditionally, scones are one of the least healthy breakfast pastries out there. Chock full of sugar, heavy cream, and butter. They’re certainly moist, but a calorie bomb to boot! Substituting agave for sugar and ridding of heavy cream helps your blood sugars to stay in check, and won’t send you “glazed” over into midmorning nap mode. I use a 1/4 cup of agave, which keeps the sweetness level where it needs it to be. If you prefer a little more or less sweetness, just add or subtract one to two tablespoons.
I I love the combination of almond and poppy seeds! The poppy seeds add great texture & color while the almond extract makes everything taste that much better. Lucky for you it not only makes an appearance in the scones, but it’s also drizzled over the top in glaze form. You can serve them with icing, or hot with butter, or just eat them plain. The scones themselves are subtly sweet, so if you prefer your breakfast pastries on the sweeter side, you’ll want the almond glaze. Seriously, they are a treat plain, but… a little icing never hurts either. Whichever way you serve them, you won’t be disappointed!
I have loved having these scones on hand for breakfast. It makes mornings much brighter and less stressful when you can just grab and go! There is beauty in simplicity, my friends. Enjoy them for breakfast, brunch, a mid-morning snack, or even dessert with a side of tea or hot cocoa.
Gluten-Free Almond, Poppy Seed Scones | Gluten Free
Yield: 25 Scones
- 1 egg
- ¼ cup agave or maple syrup
- 2 tsp. almond extract
- 2⅓ cups almond meal/flour
- 1 Tbsp baking powder
- 2 Tbsp poppy seeds
- 1/8 tsp. sea salt
- 1/4 cup butter, cold
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 tsp almond extract
- 1 T. melted butter
- 1/3 c. milk
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat
- Place egg, agave, and almond extract in a small bowl. Whisk to combine.
- In a larger bowl, combine almond flour, baking powder, poppy seeds, and sea salt. Mix well. Cut in cold butter.
- Drizzle wet mixture over the flour mixture and then toss the mixture together with a rubber spatula until everything appears moistened. Try your best to not overwork the dough. Dough will be a little wet/sticky. Work the dough into a ball with floured hands and transfer to the prepared baking pan.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll dough out to 1/4 inch thick. Cut (as evenly as you can) into 25 even triangles
- Bake for 23-25 minutes, or until lightly golden. Remove from the oven and allow to cool for 20 minutes before eating.
- For glaze, whisk all ingredients together, adding more milk if needed, to achieve desired consistency. Drizzle 1 tablespoon over each scone.